Monday, June 27, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUCKLINGS

This morning I got up and , as usual,
I went to check the nest.




She was there ....
For the past few mornings,
she hasn't been there first thing
 but arrives shortly after eight.
I walked Mollie and checked again.
She was eating egg shells !!!
(I had never seen her do this before.)
It wasn't until several hours later
that it was evident that the eggs were 
hatching.
 I could still see some whole eggs that
hadn't hatched and some motion
underneath her puffed up wings.




She spent the day all puffed up
sitting on her sleeping ducklings.
She still has egg shell on her bill.
(egg on her face)




I spent the day waiting for them
to go for a swim and leave.
It is six PM and they are still here.

This morning (Friday)
Mollie woke me up at 5 AM barking
her "there's a cat out there" bark.
I jumped out of bed fearing the worst.
There was a cat and her two kittens
too close to the nest for my comfort.
I chased them away.
The ducklings had spent the night
 but shortly after that,
Mom led them down to the wetlands.





I couldn't tell how many ducklings
there were until I saw these pictures.
I think there are nine.





Keep them safe Mom.
It won't be easy now. I fear for them.




It's been quite a while since I've seen a sunrise.









This is all that's left of the nest.
Thanks Mollie, for getting me up this AM.


Sharing with Stewart

This post is very old.
It's from my beginning days of blogging and photography.
I don't think that camera was digital.
I think six of that clutch survived.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

YAY!!! Baby ducks!! How sweet!

Anonymous said...

How very cute! Love it. Julie

Anonymous said...

This should get a prize. Great!
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot Missy. Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your new babies.

Dana M. Burger

Anonymous said...

You really got some wonderful pictures looks like you have a great camera, love your blog, look at it all the time.



Sally

Anonymous said...

So cute.....I miss them. But, they'll be back that's for sure.

Deb

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that Mrs. Duck hatched her eggs this year. What a cute family, Ann

dan said...

This post is a page of great poetry!What a moving story...