Friday, June 1, 2012

LIGHTNING



Several evenings ago,
the skies warned of impending storms.

 



So typical this time of year..
 





 This was the view an hour later
from my  porch windows.
There was quite a lightning show.
I must have taken 50-60  pictures
but only two captured the lightning.


 


Being a golfer and one time boater,
 I have a healthy respect for lightning.    
Spectacular, powerful, and sometimes deadly, lightning is one of the most common weather phenomena. Satellites detect more than 3 million lightning flashes each day around the world, or an average of more than 30 flashes per second. Lightning has also been observed on the planets Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn. Yet despite its frequent occurrence, lightning is still not completely understood.



Thunder

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thunder is the sound made by lightning. Depending on the nature of the lightning and distance of the listener, thunder can range from a sharp, loud crack to a long, low rumble (brontide). The sudden increase in pressure and temperature from lightning produces rapid expansion of the air surrounding and within a bolt of lightning. In turn, this expansion of air creates a sonic shock wave which produces the sound of thunder, often referred to as a clap, crack, or peal of thunder. The distance of the lightning can be calculated by the listener based on the time interval from when the lightning is seen to when the sound is heard.



A much better picture 
but I wouldn't want to be out in that.

Trying to find a condensed fact sheet
to add to this post,
made me more afraid of it but I learned a lot.
There are pages and pages of information
much of which was new to me...Scarey. 
 


So how do you stay safe? Experts recommend the "30/30 Rule." As soon as you see lightning, count the seconds until you hear thunder. If the number is 30 seconds or less, seek shelter. Stay under cover until 30 minutes after the last audible thunder or visible lightning flash. More than half of all lightning deaths happen after a storm has gone by, the National Weather Service says.
If you feel your hair standing on end, lightning may be about to strike. Crouch immediately or, if a building or car is nearby, jump into it.

Even inside a building, you have to be careful. Stay away from doors and windows. Phone lines, power lines and plumbing can conduct the electrical charge of a lightning bolt into the house, so stay off the phone (unless it's cordless) and don't take a shower or bath during a lightning storm. It's not a bad idea to stay away from your television, either, which has an antenna or cable leading to the outside. 



I can't tell you how many times 
I've taken Mollie out to pee when a thunderstorm
has ended.
Apparently..that's the worst time..
So,
when it comes to thunder and lightning,
BE A SCARED Y   CAT !!!


5 comments:

thistlewoodfarm said...

Your pictures are amazing! I love a storm....when I am inside and watching it from my porch. With a cup of hot tea :)

Thanks for linking to the party!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne

Lynne said...

IMPORTANT info . . . our little one sees and hears lightening and then the thunder much before we do. She alerts us because she is terrified . . . she has recently been donned in a Thunder Shirt to calm her and it has had profound comforting results for her . . .

Thanks for your informative words/links . . .

Kelly said...

This was very helpful to me. My youngest son (age 11) recently asked me what caused thunder and lightning. Now I can read this post to him! Ha! I never knew that you're more vulnerable after a storm has passed. I always thought it was the other way around. Thanks for the info!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I absolutely love to watch storms pass in the distance!! Thank you so much for sharing at our party!
Karah

Vicki Dutcher said...

My Stamp School post was a tad early! whoops --

Awesome photos!