Monday, July 23, 2012

LACE CAPS


I have several Hydrangeas and I have to say that the lace cap may be my favorite maybe because of the variety in it's flower.
 The lace caps nestle among tapered leaves which become very colorful in the fall adding to it's appeal..This is an ancient Japanese variety discovered in the 1800s by Joseph Dalton Hooker.   It is a gorgeous plant with continuous blooming from May till the first hard frost.










Lace cap flowers are made up of small fertile flowers in the center with a ring of larger sterile florets around the outside.
 The flower head has a comparatively flat,  appearance.






If the you want to turn the blues pink, or keep pink and red varieties true, add lime. This method can take a couple of years to become fully effective..If you want the blue, add Aluminum Sulfate. If all this seems too complicated..... enjoy the color that comes naturally on your soil.
 I’ve never seen an ugly Hydrangea.


9 comments:

Patricia said...

The heat is stressful to the hydrangeas here, but over on the coast they're absolutely beautiful. I'd like to see the lace cap ones in person. Your's are beautiful.

NanaDiana said...

Those are gorgeous. I have tried to "color" my hydrangeas several time to no avail. I am sticking with the plain old AnnaBelle ones-and I love them- xo Diana

Lynne said...

Pretty, pretty lace caps . . .

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I planted my first hydrangea this year.... someone ate most of it. It was supposed to be pink, but it's much more lavender or blue in color so guess my soil must have a lot of aluminum sulfate in it. I've never seen an ugly hydrangea either and hope to plant more of these gorgeous bushes.

Anonymous said...

wish i had a bush! The flowers last me 2 weeks with stem pruning..Ann

Beulah said...

Very nice. I think I'll get one in the spring.

Jody in Georgia said...

Your lacecaps are a lot prettier than mine. I love hydrangeas and hope to plant a Pink Diamond one this fall when the heat tempers down.

Anonymous said...

Cindy Funkhouser Gorgeous! Love the colors.

Kelly said...

I love hydrangeas too! I wish I had some planted in my front yard. I only have 3 in my backyard. Maybe, I should think about planting some this Fall. Fall is always a good time to plant new plants. They won't burn up in the summer! Yours are beautiful.