Monday, September 17, 2012

SO PERFECT


My water lilies have been blooming daily
 the past few weeks.







 It won't be too long before they succumb to the ravages of frost.







 Sadly, they only last three days.
Unblemished, perfect....





You can see bulbous plants floating in the water among the lilies. Their roots are hairy and a foot long providing some filtration.











They are water hyacinths that almost NEVER bloom.
(for me).
 




 I buy them in early spring to provide shade until the lily pads appear. Shade keeps down algae growth.
They multiply like rabbits and I have given away buckets full. I only bought three.





They are annuals and the first frost will kill them.
I've probably only had two bloom in eight years.
This is, indeed, a banner year with four.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

Lovely....they must have know it was their last chance to show their stuff!!!

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

I love water lilies. It's not practical for us to have a pond but I enjoyed taking photos of one recently when I went to Santa Barbara. Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Ann Chance they are still blooming?? May be the last one.

Jody in Georgia said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It does seem as though they are showing off for you this year!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Oh Missy.....these are so pretty! I love the last glimpse of summer.

blessings,
karianne

Patricia said...

I bet you're going to miss the pond and it's visitors after you move. I'm so glad that you're getting to see such lovely blooms now.

Anonymous said...

Your pond flowers were very pretty- did you put the pond in? You must enjoy it.
Punch

Beulah said...

Beautiful! interesting! I feel a saddness that soon you will be missing these things. Oh, well, I know you'll find more beautiful and interesting things in your next stage of life.