Friday, January 25, 2013

NATURES THERMOMETER

When I was a little girl,
 we always looked out at the Rhododendron
  to see how cold it was.
 This week it has been unusually cold.



      Each variety of rhododendron has a different cold hardiness,
         which varies the temperature at which the leaves roll up.
          Rolling exposes the waxy surface of the top leaf, 
while protecting the softer, more permeable underside.


     The leaves roll to preserve moisture when dry winds occur at the same time as cold weather.

Leaves will unroll themselves naturally when the temperature returns to above freezing.




When it's just cold the leaves stay flat and are more spread out.
These poor things are just plain cold.
 ( I think I just saw one shiver ).
Our single digit temps this week have taken their toll.
I have to say that I like this better than the summer 90's.
The days have been  bright and sunny...not much wind.
My kind of days..
Not so bad if you dress for it.
We could use some moisture though....We are way down. 
We've only had 6 inches as compared to 36 inches last year.
Next week they say it will be 50!!!   




5 comments:

Lynne said...

I learned something . . . I wondered about my Rhodies and their curled up frozen looking leaves. Not sure what will happen with their flowering this year. We had had seasonally warm spring like temps before the recent zero temps and snow. There were buds on the Rhodies, big huge buds . . . makes me wonder what is in store for color and flowers this year.

NanaDiana said...

Wow- Is that interesting. I never knew that. It kind of reminds me of people curling up to stay warm. Great post- xo Diana

Jody in Georgia said...

Well, I certainly learned something! How clever of God to build in this protection for the rhodies leaves! Thanks for the botany lesson!

Patricia said...

I didn't know about the Rhodies doing that. They do grow here, but only in the shade. They do much better over on the coast and even are naturalized over there growing in the woods and along the highways. Beautiful!

Patty@Lemon Lane Cottage said...

Nature is amazing. I never knew that little fact. This has been a very strange weather year. Enjoy your weekend friend.