Wednesday, February 6, 2013

OLDIES BUT GOODIES



This old quilt was hand appliqued and hand quilted by my grandmother long ago.





It has always been a favorite of mine.
I just love the colors. It has been on the end of my guest bedroom bed for many years.






These old quilts are so much heavier than those made today. I think that she used cotton blankets for the middle of the quilts.
Unfortunately it has many stains that don't go away with dry cleaning..Mollie says  "it smells".
I hated to part with it but it went to auction with some other things.




I made this one in the late 70's..
There is no comparison in workmanship.
 (Mine is machine stitched).


This past Christmas, my stepdaughter
gave me this lovely quilt that she made.
I just love it and it goes very well with my sofa.





Max has claimed it as his own.




 Poor Mollie is stuck with the old stuff..
Yup, Poor Mollie.


 

9 comments:

Beverly said...

I love the one your grandmother made!! Just beautiful!

Lynne said...

Curious . . . tell me about, "it went to auction?". I need to find a place like that . . .

Beautuful old quilt, liked yours too.

Max and Mollie have their favorite places, (blankets/quilts) and it looks like nothing will move them from "their" spots!

Jody in Georgia said...

All the quilts are gorgeous...love the one your grandmother made. So sorry you had to part with it, but the others are beautiful, too. M&M seem happy with your choices!

Beulah said...

I too am sorry you had to give your grandmother's quilt away. Hopefully someone else is enjoying it. The other quilts are pretty too. I didn't know you quilted. Your step-daughter's quilt really does blend with your sofa.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Such pretty quilts, Missy! I used to have quite a few quilts and wound up giving them away to my sister and Mom {the first time we had our house on the market a few years ago}. I did keep a couple that I really liked though.

You were right about the header! I had just changed it over before your comment. : )

Patricia said...

I think Mollie loves her fuzzy blanket over the chair. Looking out the window is an awesome perk.

Claudia said...

The quilt your grandmother made is just gorgeous! My grandmother appliqued all her quilts - a skill I have not learned. Her quilts were heavier too - I think she used blankets as the batting. It couldn't have been easy to quilt through all those layers!

Thanks so much for joining in this week!

xo
Claudia

Balisha said...

I really enjoyed this post...I love anything to do with quilts. Your little friends are so cute in your header.
Balisha

AshTreeCottage said...

Hi Missy! So nice to meet you and your fur babies. I am a hand quilter and cannot imagine quilting though a heavy blanket. Your grandmother was very talented. I am your newest follower. Stop by for a visit sometime.

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley