Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A VISIT TO OUR GARDEN CENTER


I have hole out front where a Holly used to be
so I thought I'd visit the local garden center 
to check out the replacement possibilities..
I love red maples
 but I don't think one would look right by my front door. 




This is a new shrub called a Deodor Cedar.
It gets 3 ft wide and 5 feet tall but needs more sun 
than it would get in this particular location.
It looks very soft but don't let it's looks deceive you,
IT BITES !


I looked at some other options
 and decided on a dark red Rhododendron.
There are others here and it will fit in nicely.





 I was meeting some friends for lunch and was a little early
so I played with my camera a little. This Hibiscus was huge.



Hydrangea





Butterfly Bush




There are various stands with snack foods, dips, jams and jellies..


Baked goods...


 Fruits and veggies and canned goods.



and baby things..












 Another section houses the gift shop...















Self serve birdseed..




Annuals....



House plants...


A Fairy garden..


and a bee hive that was lost several years ago..
glad to see it thriving now.


 It's a fun place to visit, has changed a lot over the years
 and even burned down at least once..
PS.   Lunch was good.









6 comments:

Lynne said...

I wish I was siting with you! Love your flower pics!

Susie said...

Missy, I loved all the plants , trees, and flowers. Plus you are tempting us with all those yummy treats. Seeing the bees makes me happy...I love honey bees. Hope you are enjoying your week. can't believe it's wed. already. xoxo,Susie

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Great pictures. Love Hibiscus flowers and hydranga flowers. Looks like a fun place to visit.

dan said...

Nice place to visit, and rhododendron has beautiful flowers!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Missy,

That looks like such a fun place! I love the butterfly bush!

Happy day!
karianne

Jody in Georgia said...

Missy, thanks for the tour of Ashcombe's. That's one of my favorite places to visit when I'm up there visiting Sally....your blog certainly brought back pleasant memories!