Monday, August 12, 2013

GARDEN UPDATE

I have recently added several perennials
 to my garden behind my house. 
That would be the one that I can't see from inside the house.
This has been one of my favorites for quite some time.
It's "Lucifer" but I can't remember it's real name. 
"Crocosmia " ??




I have had problems getting it to come back the next year.
I  love the bright color. 



The Hummers love it but do you think I could get a good picture? 
This is the best of about five..He's very dark green.
Sorry..
 

A new Lilac bush given to me by our landscaper..
 


My daises have done well.
I should get a few more similar plants.
 


 My little Crepe Myrtle is going to be red..
I planted it with an orphan whose color is yet to be determined.




I planted some Bee Balm because it's reportedly the only perennial
that repels mosquitoes.
"My landscaper" said that I wouldn't like it because it's prone to powdery mildew..I see it already..So are Lilacs, I think.
I see Mollies tail in the upper left corner of the picture.
There is a downspout corner there 
and she is looking for chipmunks that live in the downspout.



I'll leave you with these last two pictures
 because they're better than the others..
I have several pairs of cardinals that are around most of the time
and spend a lot of time in my bird bath.

12 comments:

Beverly Frankeny said...

Forever tweaking the garden....looks lovely!

Lynne said...

Don't you love the color of the Lucifer!
(Crocosmia or Montbretia, same flower just that one is larger than the other.)

Love your bird bath! Perfect . . .

I planted Bee Balm this year, a first . . . plan more for next year. I like your Crepe Myrtle too!

Rae said...

Your perennials are pretty. Great photo of the male cardinal. I love to watch the birds visit a birdbath. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has trouble capturing photos of the hummingbirds. I've been trying for a week and still can't get one that is not blurry.

linda eller said...

Lovely pictures!

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Too bad about that darn mildew because the bee balm is so neat. Glad you are having fun in the yard photographing! xox

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

We have bee balm growing in the back yard....did not know they repel mosquitos....good to know. you have lots of pretty flowers growing.

Diane said...

Love lilacs and daisies. My sister has lots if red Bee Balm, and I've never seen it mildew.

Beulah said...

I enjoyed seeing your garden yesterday. I bought an organic spray at Lowes that is a fungicide, and insecticide, and one other thing that I can't remember :)and it helped in my garden.

Claudia said...

Great photos, Missy. I miss watching the birds in my birdbath!

xo
Claudia

Susie said...

Missy, Your plants are very pretty. I love the cardinals. Hope you are still having some nice summer weather. We are having a cool down for the next 4 days. Blessings to you. xoxo,Susie

dan said...

Wonderful photos once again!!Your crepe myrtle looks so delicate and the cardinal has a very bright colour. I love your bird bath...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your new plants, Missy! I'm hoping to get two lilacs in myself {and right in front of windows}. I also want to get a couple of other perennials to replace some daylilies I'm taking out by the garage door. That "bee balm" spreads ~ a lot, so be prepared!