Monday, September 16, 2013

THINGS I MISS


When I moved a year ago,
I had to leave my pond and my ducks behind.
They would spend hours of each day in the early spring
 languishing around my pond.




I miss the pond and all it's critters.
It provided endless hours of entertainment.



Meet "Quackers"..
She laid her eggs against my house by the pond
 seven years in a row.
I only missed one year of their hatching.
This is the first or second clutch having just hatched.




As soon as they were hatched
they would go for a swim and then make the long trek 
through thick grass down to the wetlands.

 



That's a lot of exercise for a newborn.
There were usually 10-12 and maybe half of them 
were eventually lost to snapping turtles.

I went back this spring to help the new owner
set up the filter and she was there, sitting on her eggs.

This is my all time favorite picture.
She still has egg shell on her bill from helping the ducklings hatch.




This is my resident female bullfrog..(Pregnant)





In the spring there would be at least four males
who would disappear later in the spring.



She laid her eggs in the base of my neighbors fountain one year.
It was full of tadpoles.

Various critters would come by for a drink.







"Mr. Chips" was entertainment for Mollie.











You can see the frog near the center at the top of the picture.




This is a snapper
 who ate the belly out one of my 5 year old fantails.
(I should have eaten him).
They used to come up from the wetlands to lay their eggs.
I once found three little ones on my front porch.





There are a lot of stories
 connected to this little piece of real estate.
Miss you "Quackers".

PS
I went to visit my old next door neighbors over the weekend.
So sad to see my patio half torn up and the pond half empty 
to make room for a huge stamped concrete patio.
Things change, that's life..
It gave me a lot of pleasure while I was there.
I hope the froggies and "Quackers" are happy in their new homes.
No more stories just happy memories.

14 comments:

Beverly Frankeny said...

Beautiful pictures. So sad that the pond is not the focal point it used to be..... But, as you said, things change...we can always count on that.
Hugs,
me

Diane said...

Cute pictures! Lots of activity there!

Kelly_Deal said...

Wonderful story and great pictures! So sad about the pond. If the hubby and I decide to move next year, I'm going to miss our pond in the back and all of its wonderful creatures.

linda eller said...

I can certainly see why you miss your pond with all the beauty and activity. Can you build another where you are now?

Patricia said...

We went by our old home a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised that the front gardens had been well kept. We found it was best not to return to others because it was disappointing. Curiosity got the better of us that time and thankfully it looked good. Sorry that your old pond guests lost you as their hospitable neighbor.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Pretty pictures! I can see why you miss it. Happy Monday :)

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

What neat pictures of your pond. Yes I would have missed that also. I guess what is important to us, is not important to others. And things do change.

We had 20 acres up north, had cows, chickens, ducks, dogs and cats and a big garden...I have some great memories and still do miss that kind of living. I would sing to my cows...we sold Daisy to the farmer, she became his best milker....hahaha....I guess she liked my singing...lol!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You were lucky to have such an up close and personal view of wildlife! Yes, things change though.

Kelly said...

Looks like it was very nice living there with all of the beautiful nature around you. The picture of the duck and her babies is so sweet! I think it's nice that you have a connection to all that live there.

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

i love the babies - super cute. ( :
enjoy your week.

Lynne said...

Wonderful photos and post Missy . . . Going back can sometimes be bitter sweet. Love the photos of momma and her brood and the one with pieces of shell on her bill.

dan said...

Very beautiful photos and a story I found touching. I understand your sadness... ( and I lived a similar experience some years ago )

Susie said...

Missy, I don't blame you for missing all those fun friends. The little baby ducks just looked so cute. I miss my old house in town. Too many good memories of my children there. xoxo,Susie

Lisa Lynn said...

I understand your disappointment. We drove by our old house to see that all of my fruit trees were cut down. :( I hope you are enjoying your new house!
Thanks so much for sharing on The Creative Home & Garden Hop! I can't wait to see what you share today :)