Wednesday, October 29, 2014

OUT WITH THE OLD

The Maple tree in the front of my house has seen better days.
It has looked like this all summer.




It was cut down last week...No more shade in my bedroom.





You can't tell from this picture but the roots were girdled from improper planting.
 Eventually this strangles the tree and it dies.



The branches were fed in to a shredder...
(This is a tree down the street).



 Several days later the trunks and large branches were picked up.
(my tree again).






Soon after that the roots were ground up 
but only down about six inches .




 I suspect no one told him
 that there was going to be a tree planted here. 
I probably should have said something so the whole trunk would have been ground up.
Not like me to let him do his job :)





I requested a weeping Japanese Maple to replace it 
to balance my other one.
Instead, an upright Maple appeared.
Because of the old trunk and roots, it was impossible to dig far enough away from the house for that tree.




So..
It was decided to move MY Japanese to the front of the house
 and plant the new one in it's spot.
I was OK with that
 because it was going to get to big for this space eventually. 



Here it is in its new home..Just what I wanted...




The new tree will get to big to put in it's place..
(too close to the house)
SO...




The little bush was moved to the Japanese Maples' spot 
and the new tree was put where the bush was.
Are you still with me??
My walk was moved in a bit. 




This tree came out of the burlap pretty girdled.
"They" are deciding whether it should be replaced.
It doesn't have a very good collateral root system..we'll see. 
( I just heard that it's going to be replaced :) )




We had some onlookers giving advice....






I hope your week is treating you well.




11 comments:

Diane said...

Hmm... Interesting. Sounds like a lot if rearranging, but everything looks nice.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, so long as everything works out in the end!

Susie said...

Missy, I love the good serve you had. We have Japanese maples. I just love them. There's many different ones. I have a green one that I have struggled 5 years to get going. Hope you are enjoying some sunshine. xoxo,Susie

Lilasesazuis Gata said...

Uma grande árvore não pode ficar próxima da casa.

Aqui tinhamos um abacateiro que prejudicava o telhado...

Logo estará linda sua nova árvore.

kkkkk..adorei a decoração para o Halloween

beijinhos, Missy,

Lígia e =^.^=

Kelly_Deal said...

Your house looks lovely! It's always sad to see a tree go!

eileeninmd said...

I hope the trees will all be in their happy places.. I love the maple..The Halloween decorations are cute.. Enjoy your evening.

Beth of ".E." Lizard Breath Speaks said...

I luv Japanese maples ... such character! ( :

Anonymous said...

happy halloween!

Lynne said...

You have the best little place and people to do all the work! Love it . . . LIKE all your scary visitors too!

Cattails said...

Everything looks great. It's always tough to lose a tree that provides shade.

dan said...

Your garden is very beautiful!

The story of the maple sounds a bit sad...in my living room I have a big plant which was a gift for my marriage. It has been in my home for 28 years now.Do you believe? I am fond of that plant!