Friday, March 13, 2015

MORE ON HAWKS

 You may remember a recent post I did about our Coopers Hawks.

This N That


I was looking out of my kitchen window and this is what I saw.
He may be picking out his next meal.




These Mourning Doves don't seem the least bit intimidated 
by the hawk which is on the far right in the next pictures.







When I revisited my previous pictures, 
I noticed that in some of them,
 the Hawks eye was red while in others it was yellow.
Being of a curious nature, 
I did some research and found that a mature Hawk has red eyes
while a juvenile has yellow ones.

Enjoy your weekend what ever you may do ...


9 comments:

Diane said...

I didn't know that about their eyes. You learn something new every day! You have a good weekend too.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Interesting tidbit about hawks' eyes!

Junebug said...

Just as long as his meal isn't Mollie! Interesting about the eyes! Enjoy your weekend and hopefully your snow is all gone! Hugs!

NanaDiana said...

How interesting that is, Missy. I would have just thought it was a trick of the camera catching their eyes. Kind of scary looking birds but fine looking, too.
Hope you have a great Friday- xo Diana

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

so does the doves indifference, mean that he is an immature one, I wonder?

it is certainly an interesting photo.... a hawk, sharing a tree, with nice, plump birds! almost, "one for the books" as they used to say.

Tessa

Lynne said...

Be careful of Mollie, oh I know you will but those hawks sure are lurking.

Lynne said...

Thanks for the red eye, yellow eye, hawk update!

Susie said...

Missy, That is very interesting about the hawks. I think they are very pretty. Usually when a hawk comes around here, all the other birds fly off. Hope it is getting nice there. The sun is out now, no rain or fog...it is looking very nice.I am ready for some dry days. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

marejohn said...

Interesting about the hawks BUT I'm interested to know what he thinks his next lunch will be....hold tight to that Mollie!! I know you will!