Friday, April 24, 2015

A COMMON FLICKER AND FRIEND

A Flicker is in the woodpecker family and spends most of it's feeding time on the ground or on the side of a tree eating bugs.
(or at my suet)

 The undersides of the wing and tail feathers are bright yellow, for eastern birds, or red, in the western species.
You can see the yellow under her tail feathers.




Eastern Bluebird
This is a male who will become a lot bluer as spring arrives.
 The females have almost no blue on them right now.





As you can tell by the snow, 
these pictures were taken several weeks ago..

Linking with



13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Missy, you are lucky! I have never seen a Flicker at my suet feeders.. Great shots! Have a happy day and weekend ahead!

Diane said...

Nice! I didn't know bluebirds change color so to speak. Have a nice weekend!

Mildred said...

Good Morning, These are wonderful pictures, Missy. Hope you have a nice day.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A glimpse of a flicker is always a blessing. They're pretty rare where I live.

Susie said...

Missy, I always like to see your bird photos. We have flickers around here. I was hoping the bluebirds would stay...but I think the wrens got to the bird houses before they arrived. I only saw three pairs three weeks ago. Hope you are not freezing there. It's been almost cold here, frost two mornings now. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

NanaDiana said...

GREAT pictures! I don't think we get flickers here- at least I haven't seen them. We do get the eastern bluebirds. xo Diana

Lynne said...

Nice friends to have, aren't they!

Chris Rohrer said...

I love the Flicker's collar. Such a beautiful bird.

Kimberly~Nutbrown Cottage said...

Wow! I've never seen a Flicker before! Lovely bird!

Saimi said...

So cool, I didn't know that was there name - they are pretty birds!

Anonymous said...

Very good info. Lucky me I ran across your site by chance (stumbleupon).
I've saved as a favorite for later!

My weblog :: website designer florida

Nancy's Notes said...

Morning Missy! I've never seen a Flicker! What pretty birds and your shots are wonderful!

Happy Saturday~

Nancy

Stewart M said...

Great looking birds - I may have mentioned it before, but I have just got a copy of a guide to woodpeckers of the world - what a great book!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne