Monday, September 7, 2015

LABOR DAY 2015


It's the beginning of September which means 
Labor Day Celebrations and kiddies going back to school.


Why do we celebrate Labor Day??


A WWll pro labor poster from 1943




The first Labor Day was held in 1882. 
It comes from the desire of the Central Labor Union to make  a holiday for workers. In 1894 it was made a federal holiday. 
It was originally intended that the day would celebrate with a street parade so the public could appreciate the work of the trade and labor organizations. After the parade, a festival was to be held to  entertain local workers and their families. 
In later years, prominent men and women made speeches.

HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE !!!






Whatever you may do, I hope you all have a safe Holiday...
and take some time to relax. Be safe.




5 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, Missy. Happy Labor Day to you and yours.
Have a happy new week ahead!

NanaDiana said...

I hope you have a Happy Labor Day, too. I can remember the days when they did have big parades in small towns for Labor Day. I will see you soon, Missy! xo Diana

Lynne said...

Thanks Missy . . .
Nice post/info about Labor Day . . .
I think it has been years since I have seen a parade or much information about what or why we celebrate the day.
I am sure there aren't many young people who realize the impact of American Labor Days . . .

Beth from VA, . . ."E" said...

1882, had no clue! very neat! happy Labor Day! ( ;

Red Rose Alley said...

Missy, you don't have your comments open on the hummingbird post, but I wanted to tell you that this is my most beloved bird. I just saw a few of them fluttering about at the nursery this summer. It must have been a sight for you to see them at the hummingbird feeder.

Enjoy the September days.

~Sheri