Wednesday, January 20, 2016

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR



Birdie time...no more flowers, no snow !!





This Blue Jay was making himself unwelcome at my feeders.





The Mourning Doves are happy for the overflow..




Did you know that the first year of a birds life is the hardest.
If they survive the first year, they can live 5 years or so.
Of course Mourning Doves fall prey to cats and hawks more than the average bird as they are ground feeders and none too speedy. 





Mrs Cardinal..always around
I haven't seen the males lately.







The Chickadees seem to be the most friendly..
They have a sweet little chirp.





My Lenten Rose is blooming..They have never been prettier.
I think it's a bit confused.





The geraniums are also confused...
It's unusual to see potted Geraniums here in January!!
I noticed some bulbs coming up on my walk with Mollie yesterday.





It has just begun to get consistently cold now..
A few days below freezing then back in the forties again.
The sun is even out..Maybe winter is finally here !!
It's still toying with us... 

Linking with Stewart

                   Wild Bird Wednesday 182 - Lord Howe Island (Pied) Currawong

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Missy, pretty yard birds. I am seeing a lot of doves too. I have not seen any Geraniums blooming here, I am surprised with this cold weather we are having now. Now, they are calling for a big snowstorm this weekend..Watchout!
Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Susie said...

Missy, I think you could make greeting cards and calendars with your wonderful bird pictures. We have had bitter temperatures and now snow. But it isn't as bad as some will get today...so I am blessed. Stay warm and safe. xoxo,Susie

Lynne said...

Wonderful photos Missy . . .
Seriously, your Lenten Rose is blooming?
And Geranuims???
It just snows and snows and snows here.
Once it started I don't think it has paused for a day.
The snow finally
STOPPED ME
I was out in it yesterday and not a fun drive.
So I cancelled out my day today!
Maybe I needed a
"do nothing day."

Gayle atMuldoon said...

They are agressive but I've been seeing the smaller birds giving them a run for their money.

Lea said...

Beautiful birds and flowers, too!
The doves here are so fast to fly that I have a hard time getting a photo!

Margaret Adamson said...

Lovely shots of the birds and flowers

Beth Edwards, friends call me "E." said...

how much snow you do think we will get? they are really talking it up. the hubby said the gas station was so full & the pumps were working so slow. i know it get folks all worked up & they go and buy everything right away. gas, food, milk, shovels, etc. could get interesting. stay warm. ( :

Kelly said...

Yes, Winter took it's dear sweet time getting here this year didn't it? It's been very cold and wet here lately. Your bird pics are very pretty. I never knew that birds only lived about 5 years. I guess I never gave it much thought. Our dog once killed a dove because it was on the ground. That's back when my dog was super fast and had good eyesight. I hated seeing the poor thing killed!!

Stewart M said...

Jays and Cardinals - what a nice mix! You do get far more garden birds than me!

I think that the Currawongs in my post have so many rings to allow them to be identified in the field without having to trap them - they are not very common on the island, and they are much studied.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Tante Mali said...

Oh Missy, what nice garden visiters you have!!! Cardinals aren' living here! So I have the chance to enjoy yours.
Happ days
Elisabeth

Cranberry Morning said...

I love all the cardinal photos. They're my favorite. And of course that cheery geranium!

Cranberry Morning said...

I just happened to notice your comment over at Caring Bridge. Isn't it a privilege that God lets us pray for our friends! Have a wonderful weekend.