Monday, April 18, 2016

MOURNING DOVES


The Mourning Dove is also known as a Turtle Dove or
The Rain Dove.
I sometimes think of it as a pigeon.
They eat seeds which is why I always seem to find them
under my bird feeders. (or in them).










Do you see that small pink spot on its neck beneath its eye?
(more evident in the first picture)
When it turns its head to the right, there is quite a large area
of excoriation.



They are monogamous..slow movers although they can fly at fifty miles an hour once they get going.
They often fall prey to hawks and fox 
and are used as clay pigeons for shooting enthusiasts.
(A practice not far from here that has caused many demonstrations)




I'm pretty sure these are juveniles..











Linking with Stewart at Wild Bird Wednesday
http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/ Show history



Have a happy week.



7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Missy, pretty shots of your sweet Morning Doves. They seem shy around me and fly off as soon as they see me.

Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Stewart M said...

A big body and a small head - no wonder so many doves and pigeons end up in pies!

Nice shots.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Diane said...

Very nice pictures. We usually have a pair of doves nearby. I didn't know about the target practice. That's awful!!

Susie said...

Missy, I love your dove pictures. I Like to hear them of an evening. They do clean up under the feeders...so not much goes to waste. Hope you are enjoying good weather. We had 80 degrees today. Just a thin cloud film right now at 7:00 pm. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Kelly said...

Those are great pics. My dog got one of those once since they walk along the ground so much. I was so angry after I saw it! My husband then told me about their relationships being monogamous as you said and then I felt even worse. He had a lonely friend left behind.

Wally Jones said...

This is a nice series of images of the Mourning Dove! Our home would not be the same without their plaintive calls each day.
Thank you for sharing!

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my, love sweet Morning Doves. The way they coo is just beautiful! Great pictures, Missy!