Monday, April 11, 2016

PLANTING TIME


About eight days ago,
I received a carton containing four shrubs that I had ordered. 
They are dormant and in quart containers.
The instructions said "open immediately and plant ASAP."
They were shipped at the proper time for planting 
in this area.
NOT THIS YEAR!
With temps in the twenties at night,
I decided it best to keep them in the garage 
until we warmed up a little. 
I called the supplier and they concurred. 






It's to be in the mid thirties tonight and then no more thirties in the foreseeable future.
I would have waited one more day but it's to rain tomorrow.

 






Two of the four had very good root systems 
so I decided to plant two of them together.
That gives me a fifty fifty chance.

 


Hard to see those little sticks but they're there.
I added a little root stimulator and will cover them tonight
just in case.

 



So weary after all that planting...

 






 The shrub is called a " Lil Ditty Viburnum".
It's  a dwarf and brand new this year
which is why I couldn't find it at a local nursery.
Apparently, It takes three years for new plants
 to reach neighborhood nurseries.






 Keep your fingers crossed..
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
and the holes were easy to dig.

 I wonder how old this plant is..Hmmm
Have a good week.


12 comments:

Stewart M said...

Love that relaxed squirrel! I always have the 'is it too early' thoughts about planting my tomatoes! I always ere on the side of caution!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Latane Barton said...

With the weather like it is, cold one minute, nice and cozy the next, it's best to wait on putting those little darlings in danger. Such a pretty plant.

Pepper Medley said...

Crossing my fingers for you that it does well. The weather has been so odd.

Lynne said...

I am in envy . . . hungry to start digging . . .
Curious where you ordered . . .
Also, what were the four plants, (guess I know two . . .)

Beverly Frankeny said...

Love those squirrel photos!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I think the warmer weather is happening this week. Finally! We have one of those Viburnum shrubs, they are pretty. Cute squirrel shots. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Diane said...

Hope they do well for you! Cute squirrel too!

Junebug said...

Oh that Viburnum looks lovely. I've got my fingers crossed for you! It is warmer then normal here so everything is blooming and folks are planting like crazy. It's still to early for me, I still have fear of frost. Enjoy your week!

Mildred said...

Best wishes with the new plants. The squirrel looks like he is tired just from supervising your work!

b"E"th ( : edwards said...

i have some petunias that need to be planted but it is too too chilly out, the funny thing is that at the time i did buy them it was great weather in the 70s. i am hoping soon i will get to plant them on our deck. we will see??! wish you well on your plants too. have a happy fun week. ( ;

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Judging from that first photo, I thought you had ordered the rare styrofoam peanut shrub.

Saimi said...

Your so good. Our weather is perfect for yard work and cleaning out flower beds. I can see my perennials starting to bloom even amongst the old steams. I'm not as good as you, I should be taking advantage of this gorgeous weather but I'm so distracted with wanting to ride my horse...Whats a girl to do?