Monday, December 19, 2016

WOOF LOAF



What does one do on a "can't go anywhere" kind of day?
We have had  snow, sleet and freezing rain for the last twelve hours and the temperatures are below freezing.
It's supposed to warm up later today.






And so it begins....




 Those of you who follow my blog may remember
that I cook chicken on the grille for Mollie.
I've been doing it for years.
I always have frozen chicken in the freezer
and I think of it as dog food.
Recently, I was on Pinterest searching for 
Home made dog food.
"Woof loaf " peaked my interest.




I'm not the neatest "chef".




I save the egg shells and grind them up almost powder fine.






It's ingredients are varied.
You start with a protein..
I use very lean ground beef or ground turkey,
adding any or all of the following.
Rice, risotto, orzo, oatmeal, etc.
carrots, peas, broccoli, green beans, zucchini. etc.
2 raw eggs
Apples, blueberries. etc. 
Cottage cheese
I add ground up egg shells for some calcium and she gets
a multivitamin daily.
A fatty acid supplement called "Lickochops." 
(I got it on line..made by Dinovite.)
is drizzled lightly over it at serving time.
Max  (cat) loves it .
You can use just about anything you have around.
The one on the left is Banana Bread that I made for a friend.
The center is made from ground turkey..
the one on the right from beef (lean ).





Slice them up and put them in the freezer.
I keep a few days worth in the frig.
She still gets chicken, rice, green beans and carrots.
I alternate them..the woof loaf is quicker to serve.
I nuke it for 15 seconds to take the chill off and mash it up with my fingers while it's still in the bag.



So easy, healthy and much less expensive than dog food
AND
she loves and tolerates it !
Here are some does and don'ts courtesy of Pinterest.



WOOF!

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am sure your homemade dog food is much healthier for Mollie than the store bought food. Sometimes you have to wonder what is is the manufactured dog food. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead! I wish you and your a blessed and Merry Christmas!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your dog eats better than I do!

Susie said...

Missy, That is a good list of do 's and don't s for dogs. At least you know what your dog is eating. :) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

NanaDiana said...

You are such a 'woofing' good 'mom'. What a lucky little fur baby you have! xo Diana

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Wish there was a print button for that recipe. Dog food is expensive...I think I need to make Kylie her dog food. Made some hamburger and rice for her today and she gobbled it up. Who knows what we are getting in dog food now adays. I must start doing what you are doing especially when a dog gets older need to be more careful.

b"E"th "Edwards said...

i have not heard of folks doing this ... i know how much you love your furry friends. you are to kind. i hope Molly (one day I will realize you spell it Mollie, one day. LOL!!) will enjoy these awesome treats. looks good enough ... can we make a human type ... i would enjoy tasting it??!! please. keep warm from all that snow. enjoy every day!! thanks for sharing ... i love seeing snow ... we have only seen some cold days and a bit of rain. i don't think we got sleet. i think it was too warm. the temps are so odd lately. ( :

Donna said...

Had to pin this for my Chihuahuas Jacob and Riley.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a good idea ...

Woof - it's a winner!

All the best Jan