Wednesday, April 12, 2017

OUTNUMBERED


Mollie and I were come home from our walk one morning.
We were almost a block from home 
when these quacking Mallards flew overhead.
Some time later, I saw this across the street.





At first I thought it was two of them mating.




It looks more like they were fighting for the rights !!




They spent the next hour or so chasing each other 
in and out of these bushes.
They waddle faster than I do so it was really tough to get pictures.





I wasn't sure how many there were until the next day.
Then I saw the female as well.
She may be nesting under these bushes.




The boys are still hanging out...




Here she goes with her entourage, the little hussy.




I spooked them a bit by going outside.
The morning light was awful through my storm door.








There isn't any water very near here.
I fear the Hawks may make quick work of this clutch.
We'll have to keep a happy thought.

Linking with Stewart





12 comments:

Lynne said...

The "hussy" huh . . .
What a fun scene to happen upon . . .
Mallards are a water bunch . .
won't they eventually need to get back to
"where and there" . . .
I think that "miss hussy" wanted to nest
under the pretty forsythia . . .
I think we'll need you to lead us to
"the rest of the story!"

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Testosterone, the old, old story.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I guess there are not enough females to go around. Those males sure are fussy! What a neat sight to see. Great photos. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Boys will be boys...and hussies will be hussies!
What a fun 'story' to watch play out though. Hope you ave a great Easter week- xo Diana

Les Fous du Cap said...

Une femelle pour 4 mâles ça fait un peu juste !!!
Céline & Philippe

A Colorful World said...

Such drama! :-)

Ida said...

You got a great action shot of the two males fighting there. I saw something very much like that on my way home for the grocery store the other night, (no camera with me). It's rather bizarre and makes me glad I'm not a duck. My that "hussy" female had quite a following. Enjoyed your fun post.

Saimi said...

Oh my goodness, it's tough being the only girl on the block. Well maybe not for her, but for those boys haha Hopefully they keep a low profile from the hunting hawks. As aways, you take great pictures!

Kimberly~Nutbrown Cottage said...

Oh, my! What a show! They sure are beautiful birds!

Anu said...

Lovely post. Thank you for sharing.

Susie said...

Missy, If you get some baby ducks there, you'll have to get pictures. I have never seem a duck around our yard. Geese, cranes, and all sorts of birds fly over, but never stop. I love the green color on the ducks. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely to see all of your photo's here.

All the best Jan