Friday, June 2, 2017

MEMORIAL DAY ALONG THE RIVER



Each year on Memorial and Labor Day weekends,
Harrisburg holds an arts fest along the Susquehanna river.
They close off the lower end of Front street which becomes
lined with vendors of all sorts.
Memorial Day "vendors" are juried.
It's only a couple of blocks from our Capitol.





Happily (for me), it was a cool, overcast and foggy day.
Comfortable!!





This is "The Pride of the Susquehanna".
It cruises up the river as far as depth will allow and back again.
It's quite nice on a summer evening at dusk.
One gets a lovely view of our beautiful city skyline.




Front street is lined with small Kiosks containing all kinds
of interesting wares.
There is another row behind these.







All kinds of art is on display...
Some done with drum sticks, random computer entries,
and various medium....
Unusual things that one doesn't see everyday.




Lot's of jewelry....





Pottery..
I love the pottery because it's not something you see everywhere..
Most of these vendors do not like pictures taken of their wares.







More jewelry..





This was the side of one of the tents....






The next two pics are of this artwork done with
tiny letters and words.




I spoke to the artist who said that she just loves doing it
and only stops when she starts to make mistakes.
I, for one, would never notice a mistake.
This is under magnification !! (a tail)





 There are lots of nice leather items, clothing, 
and food and drink concessions.






The battery died in my camera
 so I didn't get some of the amazing metal sculptures.
Next time !!
I don't know the story behind this statue (I should)..
He's here all year around..Sometimes changing benches.










6 comments:

Lynne said...

A wandering art festival is a great event . . .
We have one near us around July 4th time . . .
I like best, something I am seeing for the first time . . .
Like a piece of art made from teeny tiny letters, words . . .
Unique, different, interesting . . .
Wonder where that idea came from . . .
Jewelry seems to attract bunches of "lookers."
Great weather makes something like this even better, doesn't it!
What did you purchase?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love arts festivals like this! Always so much fun!

Mildred said...

I would love this festival. So many unique and talented crafters. I really enjoyed your photos and glad the day was overcast for your visit.

Anonymous said...

good shots.....where is the one of you with "that man"? Ann

Lowcarb team member said...

Fantastic series of photographs showing the festival.

All the best Jan

Susie said...

Missy, So much to see. I love the unusual art pieces. The jewelry with silverware is something I would want at least one piece of it. Blessings, xoxo, Susie