Wednesday, July 5, 2017

OUR CHILDHOOD NEIGHBORHOOD


My sister and I recently had some business to do in our hometown.
Lots of memories here and lots of changes.
Our three block area
 was largely inhabited by our family.
This is our train station..we walked under that bridge 
each morning on our way to the school bus stop.
We grew up 
to the sound of the Paoli Local clacking down the tracks.

Where that white car is parked, there was a Drugstore (Camps), 
where we used to stop after school to grab something to eat.
They had great sandwiches, milkshakes, tasty cakes
 and fountain sodas.
It is no longer a drug store.

In front on that car on the next corner was JE Caldwells.
My parents moved to an apartment (Condo) behind it
after I went away to school.
We used to tell them to throw their dirty diamonds out back.




This was the house we grew up in.
The fence used to be a white picket fence. 
We used to make mud pies and line them up on the white fence.





Same house..I'm not wild about that gate that has been added.
There was a huge (15 foot) Blue Spruce to the left of that gate that I used to sit under and sneeze and sneeze and sneeze.
I had "hay fever" when I was a kid but looking back,
I may have been allergic to that Pine tree as well.




Our cousins lived around the corner in this house.
They were boys and a few years younger.
They went to a prep school not far from us.
When they walked to school,
 we wouldn't let them walk on our sidewalk.
There were two of us and two other sisters two doors from us.
We were terrors....once earning me a black eye.





This house was on the corner across the street and belonged 
to my grandparents.
We would to go there for lunch on Saturdays.
The house had an elevator that was fun to play in.






My grandmothers sister lived next door to them.
I remember their shiny black car with a continental kit on the back
that was often parked in their driveway.




It was fun to reminisce.
The streets seem much smaller 
and the distances that we used to walk, much shorter.
It's nice to see that the old neighborhood is pretty much the same except for the end of our street 
which has modern apartments and condominiums.


8 comments:

Mildred said...

I enjoyed your photos and memories. Such charming houses; so glad they are still there for you to enjoy viewing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is fun going back to visit your old neighborhood. The homes are pretty. We used to have a drugstore that sold the milkshakes and burgers. YUM!

Have a great day and week ahead!

Lynne said...

I loved this post . . .
and people like you who go back,
home, remember and share some of your stories.
Beautiful homes . . .
(Not sure about that gate though.)
I'd say YES, probably allergic to pine/spruce too!
How far away are you, from your Hometown USA.?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thanks for taking us along with you on your trip down memory lane!

NanaDiana said...

I absolutely loved this, Mildred. What a great post...it is fun to see where you grew up. All the houses, etc., are in really good shape and have been well taken care of so that is always nice to see.

Who says you can't go home again!?! xo Diana

Jody in Georgia said...

Loved this trip down memory lane...it is still a lovely place. My hometown has succumbed to "progress" and isn't the same at all. Glad I have my memories! Thanks for sharing yours.

Saimi said...

What a great time going back in the 'hood' and seeing the old houses. I love reading and visualizing you sitting under the tree, baking pies, getting a black eye and just being carefree like we could back in those days. We could be gone all day as long as we came home for dinner. My mom never knew half of the stuff us kids used to do. It's not like that anymore, times have changed.
You lived in a lovely neighborhood thanks for taking us back in time, I loved the trip!
Saimi

Susie said...

Missy, I love seeing your childhood home , your grandparents home too. Looks like a nice town. I laughed about you girls ruling the sidewalk. Sounds just like something we would have done. I liked the way you described the mud pies on the fence. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie